Saturday 13 August 2011

Yeeee Hawwwww.....!

Had a brilliant afternoon yesterday at the Western Horse Farm. Jo took Socianda and I rode one of their horses, a snowflake Appaloosa called Flashy. It was the first time I'd ridden a properly Western trained horse and he was fantastic.

They are trained to voice commands, neck reining and shifts in bodyweight so are incredibly light to ride. If I inadvertently put a slight contact on the bit, he started going backwards! He was being a bit lazy at first so Frédérick, the instructor, gave me his spurs, I have never , ever worn spurs of any sort before, and these were huge!!!
As soon as he felt the slightest touch (I was worried about hurting him!) off he went, so I didn't really need to use them......All you do for "go" is click your tongue, for canter you make a kissing noise, the first time, he shot off and took me by surprise!

We did a bit of "barrel racing" round cones and Flashy knows his job so well that I didn't have to tell him what to do, as soon as he saw them he came out of the corner running, and did the most incredibly tight turns....


Excellent fun, loads more pics here and a video here (thanks to Stewart)

And here's the link to Frédérick's place.

Definitely going back for another lesson......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, please leave them, but have to moderate them because there are some strange people Out There.......thank you for your patience :-)